Lumaktaw sa pangunahing content

DAY 2: A Cataloger's Everyday

I was definitely still not used to getting up early. After a few weeks of school break and not waking up early, I struggled getting up on my feet for the very first day, it's a good thing that I managed to power through it and prepared myself for the day. 

June 16, 2017 - FRIDAY

Regardless of my fear of cataloging, I was still pumped up for the day. I headed to the Main Library and saw my classmates sitting on the staircase of the entrance. We chatted up for a bit while waiting for our shifts. 

Excited New Librarians?
Before the strike of 8AM, we were already at the cataloging section. Ma'am Annelyn oriented us to what we should do for the day. She returned with a box full of card catalogs and told us that we would be adding cards to the shelflist. But before we do that, we must count first how many titles and cards there are per bundle. This is to record how much progress we have done everyday. After we settled in, we picked our bundles and started our work. 

What I can say though is that it was very nice of them to allow us to work together on the same desk because that way we would be able to have small talk with each other. Ma'am Annie always tells stories of how dull it can be in the cataloging section but with this arrangement, we can entertain ourselves while doing work. We counted the number of titles and cards, wrote it on a piece of paper and headed to the shelves to place them in accordance to their LCC call number. 

The shelves are intimidating, that much I can say about them. After having one look, I soon felt overwhelmed by the volume of work we have to do but still, I persevered to continue. Soon enough, lunch break came, We decided to have lunch at the stalls on the side of the library. It was the most convenient for us. All of us managed to come together to eat and talk for the hour and then resumed our work.

A Cataloger's Blood and Tears

For our afternoon shift, we continued what we were doing in the morning. Looking back at it, I never noticed how much work we have done because we were having fun while going through the shelves. At the end of the day, we weren't able to finish the entire box of card catalogs, as I expected, but we promised to finish it the following week. I was excited to head home because the next day would be the start of a weekend, I can finally lie down and sleep for a bit longer. 

Here's to having a good eight-hour sleep!

- Sam, That New Librarian

Mga Komento

Mga sikat na post sa blog na ito

Conclusion and Final Thoughts

The Conclusion The Filipinas Heritage Library served as practically my home for the past month which is why it was quite a bittersweet moment to finally visit it as intern for the very last time.  It was a Wednesday afternoon when I attended the talk on handling museum materials. I knew by then that this would probably be my very last attendance as an intern. It was also the very last time I would be turning in my ID for a volunteer name tag, something which I have been doing for the past few weeks. After doing that, I headed to the talk where I was given an Ayala Museum kit! They were even serving coffee, popcorn and brownies.  Museum training I have learned a lot in the few hours we have talked about museum work and being a curator. We discussed the different kinds of museums and the intricate process involved in being one, both creative and business. It provided another career opportunity for us looking into our professional career. During the sho...

FOURTH WEEK ROCKS!

And now we've reached the final point.  The final stretch before the home run. The chorus being played for one last time, concluding the song.  It's now the final week of our internship!  Weird, now that I think about it, I haven't noticed that three weeks have already passed by. I guess you never really notice how fast time flies by when you're enjoying what you're doing.  July 02, 2018 - Monday For the first day of our last week AKA our last Monday, we were extra cheerful because Jasmine  would also be finishing up that weekend as well, only a few hours ahead of me.  The first half of that Monday was quite uneventful. I continued with scanning and digitizing serials. I also took this time to look into and read some of the books the Filipinas Heritage Library had to offer. I found myself gravitating towards their amazing collection of Filipino horror and science fiction short stories. It definitely sparked interest within me to start...

THE WEEK THREE RAP

June 25, 2018 - Monday The third week of the internship started quite uneventful as I was only tasked to digitize books the entire day. By the end of it, I was able to digitize two entire books which I felt proud of. The highlight of that Monday was that we had a new intern handling research and social media that is studying in Paris. Another classmate from SLIS would be beginning the next day so I was pretty much excited about that. The other thing is that I was able come home early today. For the past two weeks I have been going home about 8-9 PM but that day I was able to go home 6PM.  New week, new tasks! June 26, 2018 - Tuesday The next day was similar in that I really wasn't tasked to do much. I continued digitizing the WWII collection throughout the entire day. I was able to finish at least another two books by the end of the day. Once again, I was able to go home early. However I noticed that it was getting quite fast, the internship, I mean. It seemed like on...